Saturday, February 4, 2017

Neat Freak Step #1 - Create A Space

This is not crafting related. 

I recently saw a post on Facebook and immediately started to comment then realized it was turning into a book...lol...The post was about a woman who was a neat freak and had become overwhelmingly frustrated with her family not cleaning up after themselves. Here are my stories and just a few suggestions that I started doing to relieve myself of the frustration. We're embarking on this mission gradually but it seems to be working most of the time. 

I used to take it personally because my family knows I'm a neat freak and thought they just didn't care about how I felt.

Helpful hint #1.
My husband and 2 adult boys don't like clutter and get frustrated when they can't find their things yet they are the biggest culprits of this problem.
Advice: don't go crazy one day and buy a bunch of baskets, shelves, and organizing things, etc. It can be a bit overwhelming at first and they might become resistant. Try one thing at a time.
Create a space for their belongings. I'd get so tired hearing, "Where are my keys or where are my shoes?" In all fairness us women have an advantage because we throw our keys in our purse. I bought a bookcase with baskets at Cosco. I've seen it at Walmart as well. They each have a basket that sits on top for their keys pencils for school, and I also put their mail there. Under the book case there are 2 baskets per person that are designated for their shoes. You might be thinking, "Why aren't their shoes in their closets upstairs?" I had to do it this way because my husband and older son have ADD and if I sent them back upstairs to get their shoes I didn't see them for 5 or 10 minutes because they got distracted. I haven't gone so far as to label the shoe baskets but they learned quickly which one was theirs. This method is working about 75% of the time. This helped me so that when they said, "Where is my....?" my response would be, "Did you put it/them in your basket?"

Do not help them find anything. Once it becomes a problem or a hassle with them having to take the time to look for it on their own they'll hate it enough that they'll start using the baskets. If you don't have the financial means to buy a bookshelf then designate a space. You can do this by writing their name on a piece of paper and taping it to the wall where they should put their stuff on the floor. You could put a box there, a towel or anything that would be their target spot.

If this works for you let me know. I'd love to hear your other suggestions. It's going to take time so be patient. Oh, put a small trash can next to or on the bookshelf so if they open their mail they can through it away right then and not leave it on the top of the bookshelf. There are a lot of really decorative small trash cans you can get or just decorate it yourself.

Next: Neat Freak Step #2 - Clean Your Room

Thanks for stopping by!

<3Kim

2 comments:

  1. Great piece Kim......I do believe I see a book in your future.....about this!!!! I did LOL and your ideas are great!!
    Hope everyone stops by and leaves you a comment...great read!! YOU SO ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of ideas about this kind of stuff. I do hope people will be interested and read my future Neat Freak posts...lol <3

    ReplyDelete